Friday, August 13, 2010

The babies are coming....WHAT??

As many of you know by now that my sister had the twins on August 9, 2010. It was very unexpected and an emergency situation. Very scary for my sister, Jeff and both of our families. Once everyone found out that the babies were on there way both our families went into panic mode and were arranging a way to get to Cincinatti as quick as possible. Which by the way is not a very easy task. No direct flights come to Cincinatti from Birmingham and it takes 8-9 hours by car. We had all feared this would be the case whenwe found out the babies would come. But, we had hoped it could be a calm planned event. If you know my family then you would have been able to guess that it would be total chaos!

After getting a message that Kristen was about to go into surgery while at work I immediately got on the computer to look at flights. Then I received a phone call from my sister which made the whole situation worse because she was scared and crying hysterically and then I became flustered and lost any sense I had left at that point. I worked everything out with the Sawyer's, ran home, packed my bags, and headed out to Justin's work so he could take me to the airport. During all of that I was constantly talking to a family member getting updates and working out our traveling plans. So in the rush of all that I got lost downtown trying to get to Justin's work which did nothing to help me. After talking to him I found out that he had talked to the Birmingham Airport and that Delta had delayed my flight until 7:00 which would make me miss my connecting flight in Atlanta, where I was supposed to be meeting my parents to get on a flight all together that would take us to Cincinatti. This sent me into a tail spin and decided that I had to make the flight in Atlanta to go to Cincinatti and if I could not fly there I would have to drive! So I got back on the interstate and started driving. Justin then informed me the only way I could make it on time would be me driving atleast 80-85 mph the whole way. I put the petal to the metal to race against the clock to get to the Atlanta airport by 8:00. About 30 minutes outside of Atlanta I began to retrace my steps when I was packing my suitcase. I then remembered that I had try to purchase my plane ticket at the house and after my computer continued to drag along I had called Justin and told him to book my flight for me. So at that point is when I realized I had taken my wallet out and taken it with me into the computer room to pay for my ticket and I had never gone back in there to get my wallet. So I grabbed my purse and turned it upside down to find there was no wallet in there or anywhere else in my car. Which by the way held my oh so important driver's liscense that is a requirement when you fly or drive for that matter. Already a basket case of emotions I began to cry again for the hundrenth time in 3 hours and called me Dad to let him in on the bad news. My mother and father were already at the airport at our gate waiting for me. Daddy told me to keep driving to the airport and he would try to figure something out. I arrived at the airport parked and ran to the check-in stations. My Dad was waiting for me and Justin checked me in online and Dad said that we would try and see how far we could get through security without my i.d.. We went to the first inspector told him the story and he sent us to another guy who we told the situation to and informed us that he would allow me to go through but I would have to go through the detailed screening process that they do on suspicous people. We agreed to it and then started the race against the clock again. They patted me down went through my carry on with a fine tooth comb and used all of those procedures they have to do on me. They asked if I had anything sharp in my purse and thats when I remembered I had taken our melon baller to work that day to make watermelon balls for the boys. I explained that to the workers which they had no clue what a melon baller was but allowed me to keep it in my purse. Finally they let me go and we ran as fast as we could to our gate and still had almost 30 minutes before our plane took off. While we were waiting to board our plane I threw away some trash I had. Immediately after doing that I realized that my boarding pass was missing. About the time I knew it was in the trashcan the trashcan compacted all the trash in it. OH NOOO!!! So my sweet sweet father reached in there and found it soaking wet with nasty trash juice and funk all over it! Luckily it was almost our turn to get our boarding passes scanned so I did not have to hold it very long! :) After our flight the sweet Bradley family was waiting for us at the Cincinatti airport to take us to the hospital to see my sister and the babies.

So we are still in Cincinatti but my grandparents, Ashlyn Kay and me are all leaving tomorrow morning to head back to sweet home Alabama. My sister is getting out of the hospital late this afternoon and Jeff and her will then head to the Ronald McDonald house to stay for the next week or two. Depsite all of the drama we encountered with the twins those first few hours after they were born luckily they are both doing exceptionally well and continue to improve everyday. My sister has been through so much and is still is chipper as always. She had been feeling better but had a minor set back yesterday when she got a full blown spinal block headache. Which is possible after having a c-section. She says she feels much better today but it is not completely gone yet. The doctors say it usually last for seven days and she is on day 5 today so hopefully it will be healed in two days. It has made it very difficult for her to see the babies while having this headache. She got to hold Palmer for this first time two nights ago and so that really helped because she had been very anxious to get her hands on them. They took Ashlyn Kay to see Palmer today for the first time and she looked at her but then realized how many other babies where in there too and wanted to see all of them. Haha.

Overall the babies are great but have a long way to go especially little Blakely. Blakely will have the rest of her surgery in 4-8 weeks depending on how well she continues to do. She seems to be very strong but we know she has a lot to keep fighting for. So we will continue to pray for God to help her grow strong and healthly so she can get better and stronger everyday. Palmer is moving right along the way she is supposed to and they think she will be able to go home by the end of September. It is going to be very hard for our fmaily to be away from my sister and these babies everyday but we are planning on visiting as often as we can. Luckily my sister and Jeff have the Bradley's her in Ohio to be there whenever needed and so that is reassuring but still hard because we all want to be here every step of the way. So our prayers to the good lord are to protect these babies and watch over them very closely and help them have the strength to get better and stronger. Help Blakely as much as possible through her journey to getting healthy and giving her the will to keep fighting!

We thank all of you who have been so very kind to our family and who have prayed so hard for these babies.

Also, just some information for some people who have been asking about sending donations, etc. for the babies and my sister and Jeff. They are setting up a foundation account at Regions Bank and will post the details as soon as I know them. It should be up and running by next week. Also, here is there address here in Ohio.
Address: 9378 Mason Montgomery Rd., Suite 353, Mason, Ohio 45040

And to follow up with my sister and the twins day to day check out her blog at www.ohbaby2010.blogspot.com

Thanks to everyone and will update soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment