Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rachel's Special Occasion Lasagna

I finally made, for my first time by the way, a homemade lasagna. I love lasagna, even though Justin isn't bonkers over it, and have been wanting to make it for a while. I first found out about homemade lasagna in high school when over it a good friends house. Her mom cooked all there meals from scratch and made this for us one night and I could not believe it. My family had always just cooked the Stoufer's frozen version, which I love also. So I asked her all about it and thought I could do that. So after all this time I finally did it! I thought it turned out great and Justin said it was good, but I had to ask him! He is not a fan of ricotta cheese, which he would ahve never known was in here, but he asked and I told him the truth. So he had his nose turned up before it was on his plate! I split the recipe in two and made then in two seperate smaller baking dishes. We still had left overs in just our dish and Justin went back for seconds. I took the other one to our friends house because they had just returned from there honeymoon and I knew they wouldn't want to cook. We ate a small side salad with ours. If you are looking for a simple healthy salad recipe that is always good with any Italian dish then buy mixed greens ( I use organic), grape tomatoes, croutons, parmesan, and balsamic vinaigrette. Follow the serving size for the dressing and with balsamic you will get plenty of flavor in just that small serving size. Just sprinkle a little bit of parmesan to top of the salad. Sometimes I will add chopped cucumbers to mine as well.


Makes 8 servings


Ingredients
1 (8-ounce) package uncooked lasagna noodles (about 9 noodles, used 10 noodles
1 1/3 cups (6 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup (6 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce, divided, used reg. pasta sauce
Cooking spray
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

**I added a few shakes each of the following spices: oregano, basil, italian seasoning, garlic powder into the cheese mixture, then stir well to blend.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°.

Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Combine the cottage cheese, cream cheese, and ricotta cheese in a large bowl; stir to blend well. Stir in Parmesan and next 8 ingredients (through egg).

Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles over pasta sauce; top with half of cheese mixture and one third of remaining pasta sauce. Repeat layers once, ending with noodles. Spread remaining pasta sauce over noodles.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella; bake an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Information
Calories:284 (28% from fat)
Fat:8.8g (sat 5.2g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.4g)
Protein:15.7g
Carbohydrate:34.2g
Fiber:3.3g
Cholesterol:53mg
Iron:0.9mg
Sodium:657mg
Calcium:179mg

-Compliments of Cooking Light, www.myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment